Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Chopper daze again. The new Gasshole chopper build.

 Bought this beater Panhead from Jack up in Norman Arkansas.  Looked OK until I started inspecting  it up close.  I had it completely torn apart before I left the shop that night.
It had a couple pounds of plate steel gusseting from the neck all the way back to the top motor mount.  I removed it as surgically as I could but I was still left with a mess.
You can see it is a toss up whether it is salvageable.  I considered dropping the $500 for a new casting, but the frame had enough other issues that I couldn't bring myself to do it.  I figure it was being ridden like it was, and whatever I end up with will be much better executed, and engineered.


Here is what I came up with.  It still needs some finishing, but I feel comfortable riding it.  Like I said, can't be any worse than it was, or than the hundreds of 70's chops still running the highways.

 Sneak peak at what I am thinking for the new rear fender.  This is an early Sportster fender with the side skirts cut down.  Fits the Firestone like a glove.

No comments:

Post a Comment